23 May 2006

WFMW



Today I'm going to give a tip and then I need all you smart mommies out there to help me with a tip!

First, my Works-For-Me Wednesday tip:

This is more of a beauty tip for all you mommies and it's cheap. If you want long curled looking eyelashes then grab yourself a plastic eyelash curler and get to work. My tip is to buy one that uses a soft clear plastic strip like this. This is the one I use.

Now trick is to heat the plastic strip before applying it to the eye. Just turn on your blow dryer on the highest heat setting and blast it for about 20 seconds. WARNING: please touch it with your finger first and make sure you're not going to burn yourself. Then immediately curl lashes and apply two coats of mascara, wa-la! It works beautifully and it sure beats paying for one of those fancy high cost self-heated eyelash curlers that really don't work!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now here is where I need your help ladies...

In our new home we have a wrought iron baluster stair railing. I have a baby gate at the bottom but I need one for the top for my very active 14 month old.

Here's my dilemma: This kind of stair railing does not allow for the typical pressure gate to work. The wood base sticks out further than the top, so the gate does not touch on the sides once in place. And, I would get a wall mounted one but it is completely open at the top (meaning no walls on either side of the railing) AND since we are selling the home I don't want to drill holes in the beautiful wood.

Anyone with any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it. I'm feeling a little desperate here.

Update: Sorry Shannon forgot to give you some link love to your awesome column here. Go to Rocks In My Dryer for more awesome ideas!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Neat idea!

Well Im not sure what you would do about the railing...my husband made a gate at the top of our stairs...but it did require nailing. hmmm...

This is my first time to your blog! Feel free to visit my blog too(you will need to 1. Register for FREE on the right side of the page first though before you can post a comment…this personalizes everybody’s visits a bit more). Once you are registered you can 2. click on “Leave Your Comments” next to any blog entry and then click 3. “Post Reply” on the green page that should come up for you (then login with your username and password and type your comments in the big message box and click submit). I hope to have you visit my site soon and I’ll try to visit your’s often as well!



God Bless! J

Wendy said...

I'm not sure about the gate, but I would check One Step Ahead. I think that is the name of the catalog. You can probably find them online. It seems like they have everything and tons of different gates. Good Luck! We're in that stage too, so I know how scary that can be.

Nettie said...

I have a 15 month old and the same problem. I solved it by avoiding the gate at the top of the stairs completely, and putting up gates in the upstairs rooms doorways that she spends time in. The idea of my older kids climbing over a gate at the top of the stairs scares me anyways.

the lizness said...

i like the eyelash curler tip a lot!!

Blackeyedsue said...

I am going to use that tip with my eyelash curler. It has never really worked for me, maybe now I can have pretty, curly eyelashes to bat at people.

I am so sorry. I have no tips. In our old house we could use gates. In our current house our baseboards are too tall and the gates didn't work. We let dd fall down the stairs once...she never did it again.

Anonymous said...

wendy's right about one step ahead. they know everything!

but i don't think you're supposed to do pressure gates with stairs anyway.

i've never heard of heating an eyelash curler, or a fancy one that is heated! you rock, theresa!

me, straightlashed in texas

Gabriela said...

I can use all the make-up tips I can get! thanks!

Robin said...

I think prayer that our house sells quickly so you can get another one in Texas is the best idea I have.=)

Jennifer said...

Don't have any advice about the gate since you have a wrought iron balister. Some friends of ours had gates that you screwed into the wood at the top and bottom of the staircase and the gate had a door that grown-ups could open. Sorry! Thanks for the tip.

Theresa said...

Thanks ya'll for all the help. I finally gave up this weekend and moved my sewing/scrap room to the media room downstairs so all is good now, I don't even have to worry about the top of the stairs anymore!! Whoo hoo!

Buying ED Drugs Online said...

A debt of gratitude is in order for your glorious posting! I very delighted in understanding it.