18 June 2006

Mom was right

When I told my mom I started sewing she said, "watch, you'll be making clothes for the kids next". I began to laugh hysterically and said, "yea right!"

Well let's fast forward approximately one year later. My first project was a curtain, then more curtains, then this one.

Then, I moved into a phase of making little blankies, jean purses and little tote bags. Eventually, the idea popped in my head (could have been the 110 degree heat) that I should make some sundresses for the girls to play in. (Notice I said 'play in ' not to wear to church) smile.

Yes mom, you were right!! Here I am now wanting to make clothes for the girls!

I decided to make one for Claire first since you know it would be smaller and maybe a little easier. I ended up using some extra Easter fabric that I had here at the house.

WHAT IN THE WORLD WAS I THINKING??

Here is a synopsis of how it went down:

1. Pattern was too hard to decipher so I made my own pattern!
2. I use one of Claire's sundresses to use as a pattern. (keyword here: Claire's)
3. I cut the fabric, put wrong sides together and start my stitching.
4. I turn the fabric inside out to do a seam check, oops...I have sewn the arms closed. Yes, I did!
5. I seam rip the stitching out and realize the neckline and arms are now fraying.
6. I go back to hem the neckline, shoulders, arms and bottom.
7. Turn back inside out to see if we can try it on Claire.

OOPS AGAIN! I can't get the dress over her head!! See, when I went back to fix/hem the fraying edges I lost some inches in the process!

So, back to the drawing board. How do I get more width in the neckline? And, here was my solution: seam rip the shoulders out and add some pretty purple ribbon that matched my fabric.

Now let's see if we can get it over Claire's head??

Below is the picture I took when it was finished...



Yeah, so much for making a dress for Claire!!!

7 comments:

Addie said...

I'm thinking you know the most important rule of a seamstress. Always know how to improvise! It looks awfully cute. the ribbon is an adorable touch!

Woo, woo! Good job!

Stacey said...

I love it T... You did a great job!! Plus, I love the way she models it for you, very cute!!

Anonymous said...

I think it looks great. Sewing clothes is SO much harder than sewing other crafts!

Vessel said...

That has happened to me this year as well. I asked for a sewing machine to make new curtain for my house. Whoa! Curtains are one thing, a smock size 10 girls is a whole other story. Rip, Tear, rip again: still not done. I put it away for the summer!!

Theresa said...

Great job!

boomama said...

I have a sewing machine.

It's on the top shelf of my closet.

One time I used it to sew up a cap for my neighbor's little boy's Halloween costume.

And thus ended my sewing adventures. :-)

I think you did an AWESOME job. And think how much easier it'll be from here on out.....

Katherine@Raising Five said...

I agree with Shannon - I realized long ago that my forte is NOT clothing. I do love sewing things like curtains, and it's so much cheaper and better quality than buying store-bought. But you are tempting me - I know I could sew for my little girls (they're not picky!)-- you inspire me. Great job!