12 September 2006

Works-For-Me-Wednesday

UPDATED TO ADD: Thanks everyone for your concerned comments regarding particular stones in ammonia. However, this WFMW was specifically meant for "wedding rings" only! (Assuming that you have a diamond as the stone.) I apologize for implying that this was for ALL jewerly. Ammonia is not safe for soft stones. If you need specifics please search the Internet for any stones in question. Thanks, T-Lo.

Do you ever feel like your wedding ring doesn't quite sparkle like it used to when it was put on your finger? Well here is a tip (actually I got from our jeweler Matthew Trent in Dallas) to make it shiny-like new!

First, ditch all those store bought jewelry cleaners! They actually contain lotion in them and eventually will create build up on your ring. Just go to your local grocery store and pick up a bottle of plain ole' ammonia. Yep, that's right! Pour some in a dish, just enough to cover up your ring and let it soak overnight. You can let it soak longer or shorter depending on how dirty your ring is. If it's as dirty as mine, I let it soak overnight! :-)

Then, when your ready to take it out, use a small brush (I use an old toothbrush) and gently give it a little scrub. And, make sure your sink drain is closed! Rinse in warm water and dry thoroughly. Not only is this cheaper than those 'jewelry cleaners' but it works better too.

Wha-la! Brand new just like you got it on your wedding day! Works for me!

*Caution: Ammonia is very dangerous, so please keep it away from small children.

Go to Shannon's over at Rocks in my Dryer for more WFMW tips!

14 comments:

Wendy said...

I'm going to have to try this one.
Thanks !

Amanda said...

Great tip! Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

I have always used 409 and a toothbrush. I don't ususally soak it bc it's too late for me to have the time.

Robin

Anonymous said...

Great idea!
Kilikina
My Blog
Email Me

Amy said...

Wonderful tip- thank you for sharing!

Stacey said...

Cool, I'll have to try that!

Heather said...

Just a side note: ammonia is not safe for all stones. Diamonds are safe though. Look online and do a little research to see if the metal and stones in your ring are "ammonia safe"

Kelley said...

Good tip, T. I know my ring has lots of little nooks & crannies that collect crud, so I'm going to try this soon. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Great tip! Mine has a lot of nooks and crannies too.

Mrs. Darling said...

Someone told me that you cant use amonia on softer stones like emeralds. Do you know anything about that? I wonder.

Girl Raised in the South said...

Theresa, you keep coming up with the best tips. I would mention that pearls in particular can't be cleaned with that. They are generally glued to the mounting and will come unglued.... I have a little jar with a lid that old makeup came in, and that's where I soak mine. With the lid safely screwed on. My cat once batted my wedding rings under the fridge, when I pulled it out to retrieve them, flattened them completely. Tough way to get new wedding rings. Ammonia does work great.

Barb said...

That's exactly how I clean my rings. And you're right, it works better than anything else I ever tried.

HappyChyck said...

That's how I clean my rings, too. It also works well with gold jewelry--like necklace chains and hubby's gold band. I keep a old shot glass on the bathroom countertop that I use just for cleaning--but like the container with the lid idea better.

holdenon said...

I haven't tried that ..but was told DAWN works too! I have always used toothepaste. I will try ammonia. I wasn't sure what I was going to do with the big bottle I have anyway.