12 September 2006

Fans and Fever

In the midst of trying to sell this darn house we have been trying to get say "a little more comfortable" while we STILL live here. There are some things I have been living without since we moved in. And let's just say I've had enough.

For example, in the desert it's hot, in the summer it's even hotter. So this weekend we broke down and finally bought some ceiling fans to install and help cool this house a bit more.

Well let's say I installed both of them.

Yea, hubby has some super great talents but anything that involves tools, hardware and instructions, not so much. And, since my daddy is a jack-of-all-trades I have learned a thing or two from him. So yes, I installed the ceiling fans and that included the electrical wiring too. But this time it was a little more challenging because I did not realize until after we got home that one of the ceiling fans came with a remote control. So, I had to make a quick call to good ole' dad to get some help with the transmitter. And wha-la, she actually works! (And, yes if I'm installing them the gender of the fans will be female!) :)

The next big purchase this weekend was a much needed garage door opener. The whole notion of unlocking with a key each. and. every. time. I. go. in. and. out. of the garage is SO not worth it. Oh my word! I can't wait for Lowe's to install that baby!

Now for other weekend news:

Sunday, (did I mention that was NFL Sunday?) Sugar came down with a slight fever. And yesterday was so sweet. All she wanted to do was be held and fall asleep off and on in my arms all day. Don't you love it when you get those cuddle moments? I would never wish upon them to get sick (ahem) but oh how I love the cuddle time!

But, about 4:00pm it got pretty scary.

Sugar woke up from a nap and her fever was 104.7! Within seconds, I was on the phone to the doctor's office. They instructed me to give her a luke warm bath for 20 minutes with a dose of Motrin to get the fever down. They said if it didn't go down after 45 minutes than to take her to the emergency room. Well, we checked it after she got out of the tub and it dropped to 99 degrees but it slowly climbed back to 102 but it stayed there.

I took her to the doctor's today to rule out any ear infections, strep throat, etc. and both were negative. However, she does have a little congestion and a sore throat. This evening she still has fever but it's not as high so I guess it is something viral and we'll have to 'wait' it out.

I also found out that Sugar is 20 lbs. 8 oz and that's WITH a diaper and clothes on!! She's almost 19 months y'all.

Oh my goodness... nothing like giving your poor mama stroke! I'm not sure if I should be more concerned about the fever or that fact that she still is only 20 pounds?

6 comments:

Girl Raised in the South said...

Are you serious? You really really installed ceiling fans? I was impressed I could pick out which was the wrench and which was the phillips screwdriver. I am really amazed. Fevers - scary, scary. I've heard they should never be allowed to get to 105 - something about that point that is way dangerous. I've had to dunk them in bathtubs of cool water to bring them down, and that was at Disneyworld - oh the fun vacations we've been on! Hope she gets over it quickly - sounds like the crud season is beginning...

Anonymous said...

go you with being all handy and all that jazz! I've never installed a ceiling fan. I prefer to hold the ladder while hubby does the work. But I'm certain I could do it if he were unable to. I may not know what to call all the tools, but I know how to use them!

Also, I love power tools! Love them. And I don't care what hubby says, the nail gun is mine. Oh, sure, it's useless without his air compressor, but the nail gun is MINE! LOL.

My favorite tool is my B&D mouse sander. I love sanding things. I re-finished step-daughter's dresser. And various other projects that needed sanding.

I hope your little girl feels better soon.

Wendy said...

Wow, I am so impressed that you installed fans. I have watched my husband do that and it does NOT look easy. I'd be lost.

Our yongest is 16 months and I don't think she is much over 20 lbs. (I will know more at her 18 month appt.) She is kind of short and petite, but eats pretty well. I hope everyone feels better soon and that you sell your house!

Stacey said...

I remember that was the highest fever Josh ever had, 104.7! It's scary isn't it. He was starting to shake and his eyes were rolling around. We did go to the ER to get it down.

Anyway, I'm sorry she was feeling so yucky. I hope she's better today!

I wouldn't worry about the weight. Seth is still at 25 pounds and he's almost 27 months old!

I love doing things around the house, too. I don't know if I could do a fan but I would probably try. I want to know why you aren't attempting the door opener? I bet you could do it!!

Stacey said...

Wow I'm sorry, that was a really long comment I left!

Dianne said...

Wow, am I impressed. I thought I was doing well for hanging blinds and curtain rods! Ceiling fans. You inspire me, girl!

I hope your little one is feeling better and that you are feeling some peace about her too.