18 September 2006

Blog-O-Lantern online contest

Well it's my favorite time of the year - fall, pumpkins, hay rides, cool weather, apple cider and all those comfort foods. But, my absolute favorite thing to do this time of year is carve my annual pumpkin! Back in Texas in the old neighborhood I got a few friends together to have an annual block party that consisted of a costume contest and a Pumpkin Carving contest. Everyone was required to bring a Halloween treat and I provided music, drinks, voting cards, and prizes for all the winners. It was always held in the evening so you could see all the jack-o-lanterns glowing at night and it was such a hit! We had our 4th annual before I moved. Anyhoo, it was SO fun and every year we would see some awesome carvings!

So this year, since I'm not in the same neighborhood, nor do I even know my neighbors I thought I would have a drum roll please...

"Blog-O-Lantern" online contest!

It will be super simple, just post a picture of your "Blog-O-Lantern" the week before Halloween and I will judge all those that participate. I would do Mr. Linky but then again I would need some help with that.

UPDATED AGAIN: Anyone can participate in the pumpkin carving contest. I would encourage all family members or friends to help come up with the most creative carving. The only thing you can't do is buy one already carved! Oh, and I'm all setup with Mr. Linky now, so thank you Jules over at Family Jules for your help!


Also, the winner will receive a prize that will actually be mailed to you! So, what do y'all think? Are you in?

*Above is the pumpkin I carved last year. Not my greatest one, and it's Vintage Strawberry Shortcake if you couldn't tell. I will post more pictures of previous years carvings that is, if I can find them on my old hard drive. :)

16 comments:

Vessel said...

I am sharing Mr. Linky with you.
I have yet to use it but I got it recently.
Love Mr. Lnky!!!

http://www.blenza.com/linkies/

Theresa said...

Thanks Jules! I'll see if I can get it to work! I don't have many readers but it would be fun to get maybe 10 or so on the list.

Shawna said...

That sounds like a fun idea. I will definitely check out your entries, but you will thank me for not doing one. I cannot even draw a stick figure. No kidding. My husband always does ours. I bet your parties were a hit!

Anonymous said...

I'm lucky if I can't get one of those plain ole smiley face pumpkins carved. Not exactly my niche, but we'll see!

Robin

Stacey said...

I would love to play along. I'll start getting my creative juices flowing! I love to have fun creating new things. I'll see if I can get my Mom and sister to join in, too : )

Anonymous said...

Sounds like fun! I've never carved a pumpkin, but I'm sure my hubby has. Is it cheating if I let him do it?

Anonymous said...

I will tune in! In the meantime, here's a pumpkin from 2 years ago - Homestar!

http://bailey.typepad.com/lori/2004/11/halloween_sweet.html

:) Lori

Girl Raised in the South said...

Alas Ive turned into a carving slug. It was never my favorite thing - too slimy so my husband helped with the carving, scooping all the muck out. In exchange I did Easter eggs, not really his forte. Now I'm way too lazy and bought those fake ones with the light in them. They're lucky we still give out candy, truly. I'd play but it's just too slimy for me and no way is hubby carving me a pumpkin now that the kids have flown the coop!

Sandra said...

What a great idea, I would love to join in :) And hey if you need help making a little button for it, I can do it for you :) Just email me at bourlandcs@msn.com and let me know what you wanted on there :)

Anonymous said...

count me in!

Anonymous said...

btw - I mentioned this at my site, so maybe some of my readers will head your way and sign up.

Sandra said...

Theresa, I emailed you the button yesterday and I also posted it on my blog's entry for yesterday, go check there if you don't get the email :) Hope you like it :)

Overwhelmed! said...

You know, I have a carving template that my mom bought me that I've been meaning to try out. Can I use that and participate?

Please leave me a response on my blog.

Also, I hope you don't mind me giving you this heads up. On Monday, 10/2, I'm doing a one-time Holiday Cooking, Blogger Style recipe exchange. I do hope you’ll be willing and able to participate. :)

Anonymous said...

Great idea, though I haven't bought a pumpkin in years! let alone carved one lol. I'm sure you'll have some talented entries.. I'll be back to take a peek! :=)

Mandy

Overwhelmed! said...

I've just linked this post over at my blog to help spread the word.

I got a pumpkin today from a pumpkin patch, but I just don't know if I'm going to have time to carve it. I'm having a horendous week at work coming up this time. We'll see.

J-Money said...

Here is where I show everyone how not to carve a pumpkin. And how not to deal with the disappointment. Unless you, like me, really can't stand your neighbors.