30 April 2006

Grand time in the Grand Canyon

Well you guessed it we're back and healthy! (ok, somewhat healthy but no fevers, vomit or abnormal poo going on right now.) The Locastro family had a wonderful time driving up to Sedona - spending the night then driving up to the Grand Canyon and staying for a night. To make this easy, here is a list of what was great:


1. The girls seeing all the animal wildlife (i.e. deers (literally
standing six feet away
), squirrels, Condors, Cottontail, etc.

2. The views in Sedona, the Red Rock, mountains and of course the Canyon itself - breathtaking! My first time seeing it was not so breathtaking. This visit... unbelievable!

3. Staying in a lodge inside the G. Canyon park - just like camping with all the amenities.

4. Getting Sabrina's Homemade Ice Cream in Sedona on Rt. 89A.


5. Having dinner reservations that my hubby booked ahead of time in the old El Tovar hotel in Sedona while Grandma watched the kiddos in the hotel.


6. Viewing the stars at almost 8,000 feet elevation in complete darkness and the weather was absolutely beautiful!






Okay, some things we could have done without (or changed):

1. The stuffy noses and coughs.

2. Victoria being afraid of the Canyon and crying on the bus tour around Hermit's Rest. Okay, I'll admit, it was my fault by putting the fear of God in her that if she didn't hold onto someone's hand at ALL times she was going to "fall into the big hole"! (She finally calmed down about the second stop.)

3. Being sucked into a Timeshare presentation to save $100 on a room rate that was only suppose to last 90 mins. and ended up going over two hours.

I think that's it for the bad list...not too bad eh? My biggest fear was going to the scenic points and worrying about one of us falling over. Little did I know that the gift shops sells books on how many people have died visiting the Canyon by going over the edge.

So, the number one rule was, Claire had to be in the Travel Backpack at ALL times and Victoria had to be holding someone's hand opposite the cliffside. For those of you who have never been to the GC, you can tell by the pics I posted that the Grand Canyon is wide open...most lookout points do not have a railing or fence. And, if there is one it only goes so many feet. So, there you have it, our trip in a nutshell.

We all got home in one piece, the dogs were excited to see us and the house is still for sale! (BTW: anyone interested in moving to Arizona, drop me a comment I have the perfect home for you.)

*I'm not sure why my post did not publish the way it previewed so I apologize ahead of time for the goofy layout!

5 comments:

Stacey said...

Sounds like you guys had a great time!! I'm glad everyone had fun and there was no yucky illnesses this time. I know what you mean about the Grand Canyon... it can be scary, especially with kids!!

Addie said...

The pictures are great. But my fear of heights kicked in on the second one. Whoa! I don't think I could handle that! But it's so beautiful!

So glad you all had a great time and stayed well!

Wendy said...

I love Sedona! It sounds like a you had a good time. With little kids you never know what you are in for...

Anonymous said...

oh theresa, the second #2? Priceless.

I've never been to the GC - none of us have - but I'd be the one freaking out about losing a kid to the big hole, too. totally.

great pictures!

Anonymous said...

I've never been to the Grand Canyon and always wanted to. Glad you got to go.

I would be very "on edge" (ha ha) about my kids getting too close as well.