10 April 2006

Trichotillomania

Have you ever heard of Trichotillomania? Or, maybe "Trick" for short? Well, I am here to expand your horizons on this interesting but strange disorder. Basically, "Trick" or (TTM) is an impulse disorder that causes people to pull out the hair from their scalp, eyelashes, eyebrows, or other parts of the body, resulting in noticeable bald patches.

You may ask, why am I blogging about this? Well, I will admit that during my teenage years I had this disorder. For all you curious ones out there it was my eyelashes that I use to pull out. Although, I was a very mild case and you would never know I did it just by looking at me. Back during my school-aged years I use to do it under extreme stress or with boredom. For example, like before a test, or while doing homework. I think I out grew it but it is a very embarrassing thing to admit.

Does it run in the family? Yes. And, unfortunately, since the third move in 10 months Victoria has started twisting her hair and pulling it out. You can start to see a light patch of hair in the back of her head.

Since my discovery, we have talked about not pulling her hair out and why it is not good. So far, she is doing a lot better. See, when she was a baby she always use to play with her hair when she got tired. Now it's expanded to twisting and pulling. From my research, it sounds like she will stop doing this in a few months, just pray for her stressful heart that it slows down and stops AND that it doesn't turn into TTM during adolescence.

2 comments:

Stacey said...

Wow Theresa, I had no idea. I'm glad you were able to overcome that. It breaks my heart that poor Victoria is having to deal with this. I just recently heard of parents that gave there little girl newspapers and every time she felt like pulling her hair she tore up the newspaper. I thought it was interesting but maybe it would be worth a try?

I'll be praying that her little heart settles down and she will stop the pulling!!

Addie said...

Poor baby! I'll be praying for her and you guys.