12 July 2006

WFMW


Here is my solution to storing the smelly dog food! I don't like to store it in my pantry quite frankly, I can't stand the smell of it when I open the door. So I bought this nifty trash can that didn't hold trash bags very well so I decided to use the can to store the dog food.

I keep it stored in my garage next to the bathroom where we keep the dog dishes. And, if you have more than one dog like we have we are usually buying those 30-40 lb. bags. And, as you know they don't seal up very nicely. I also keep a plastic cup (not pictured) in the can too to scoop out the food.

So what are the benefits you ask?

1. When we buy the food it's dumped in all at once.
2. No more lugging around heavy dog food bags
3. It keeps the food fresher
4. The lid helps keep the bugs out and the smell away
5. You can keep track easier of how much food you have left
6. The little plastic cup encourages littles one to feed the dogs

It works-for-me! (My stash is getting a little low as you can see!) Drop by Shannon's at Rocks in my Dryer for more good ideas!

9 comments:

Mama Duck said...

Excellent idea!

Barb said...

Everyone in my family has done this forever. Like you, they kept the dry dog food in the garage or, in my mother-in-law's case, on the back porch where there was the occasional eek! mouse. The tight fitting lid keeps out stray critters, too. I still use the same idea. But with a nine pound shih tzu, the smallest bag of IAMS I can find lasts forever, so now I use a plastic container with the air tight lid. Same concept. And it works. Great wfmw!

Wendy said...

We do something similar. It works really well. I agree w/you about it being in the pantry...too stinky!

PastormacsAnn said...

We have a similar container with a snap lid!

Overwhelmed! said...

Great idea, now I just need a dog!

I posted a WFMW tip as well. Stop by and take a peek. :)

Especially Heather said...

very good idea! Boomer (our huge lab) has the most horrendous smelling food!

-H

Stacey said...

That's a good idea. We keep ours in one of those big plastic storage containers with the lid. We also have a scoop that the kids use. Great minds really do think alike : )

Katherine@Raising Five said...

If that is a foot pedal, count me in. We've used a variety of plastic bin things that the dog either chews, or the kids can't get the top off without assistance (sort of spoils the whole idea of kids doing the chore, huh?). Thanks!

Girl Raised in the South said...

Last week my sister Barb told us to store the trash bags in the bottom of the trash can. So I scrubbed the daylights out of my trash can and did just that. Two weeks ago I saw an idea you put out there to straighten out my junk drawer. It's still neat. Again - a great idea. I, like you, hate the smell of dog food that wafts up at you. You may not think it's rocket science but it truly works for me. Thanks for sharing Theresa.