13 March 2006

Kitchen Talk!

1. How many meals does most of your family eat at home each week? How many are in your family?

We eat about 6 out of seven. There are 4 of us.

2. How many cookbooks do you own?

Too many to count, probably 15 -20 (that's counting mags too)

3. How often do you refer to a cookbook each week?

Probably 4 out of 6 times (since discovering Rachel Ray)

4. Do you collect recipes from other sources? If so, what are some of your favorite sources (relaties, friends, magazines, advertisements, packages, the internet, etc)

I usually collect them from the Internet (cooks.com or http://allrecipes.com/). I also copied many from my mother-in-law. This was after my soon-to-be hubby at the time told me to call her after I made him a meatloaf, "because it didn't taste like my moms!") And, I STILL married him???

5. How do you store those recipes?

Okay - remember I'm anal, but I usually print them out, trim/fold them, highlight titles, etc. then file them in my Longaberger Recipe Basket. However, the ones I copied are written down on recipe cards then filed. But, it still is a little messy for me so it's on my "to do" list when we move to reorganize them - again!!

6. When you cook, do you follow the recipe pretty closely, or do you use recipes primarily to give you ideas?

I use to do them exactly and if I was missing an ingredient needed I didn't make it. But, over the years I have learned that the omission of some ingredients is okay and now a days I am much better at adding or substituing in any recipes.

7. Is there a particular ethnic style or flavor that predominates in your cooking? If so, what is it?
Well this one is a toss up... Mexican vs. Italian? I like to say I mix it up pretty good but my "go to" foods are the above mentioned.

8. What’s your favorite kitchen task related to meal planning and preparation? (eating the finished product does not count)

Dicing, cutting, chopping, slicing, zesting, peeling, mincing, shredding...anything that requires me using my 7" Santuko Knife! :-) That's a scary answer isn't it?

9. What’s your least favorite part?

Clean Up!

10. Do you plan menus before you shop?

Sometimes I make a weekly menu but it depends what's on the calendar for the family that week.

11. What are your three favorite kitchen tools or appliances?

1) my two 7" Santuko knives 2) Pampered Chef stones 3) my microwave

12. If you could buy one new thing for your kitchen, money was no object, and space not an issue, what would you most like to have?

A SIX burner gas range w/ convection oven with a built- in grill...just like this one!

3. Since money and space probably are objects, what are you most likely to buy next?

Well, I just bought a new Microplane and basting brush this weekend; so my next new little purchase will probably be a large wooden cutting block/board.

14. Do you have a separate freezer for storage?

No, I sure wish I did!

15. Grocery shop alone or with others?

I prefer to go alone so I can browse at my leisure. I really enjoy grocery shopping especially in the organic section. I like to read everything and try new stuff!!

16. How many meatless main dish meals do you fix in a week?

Probably twice a week. It would be more if I could get my hubby to eat more healthy. I usually end of fixing two dinners the night I'm having a "non-meat" dish.

17. If you have a decorating theme in your kitchen, what is it? Favorite kitchen colors?

No theme right now since were in a rental. But, normally I have a traditional taste. So the new kitchen has Briarwood Cherry cabinents with black appliances. The counterops and floor are real earthy colors. I'll post a pic when after we move in...

18. What’s the first thing you ever learned to cook, and how old were you?

Tuna Noodle Casserole - probably 10.

19. How did you learn to cook?

I learned a few dishes from Mom, some from Home Ec in 8th grade, but mainly I taught myself. I think it's called 'trial and error' school. Oh, and my latest teacher RR.

20. Tag two other people to play.

Robin (because she is a SERIOUS meal planner, cook, and former Pampered Chef consultant)

Lori (because Robin told me she is the best cook ever - and I have one of her recipes)

2 comments:

Stacey said...

Sounds like you're quite the little chef at your house. Maybe we should get together and swap some recipes soon. I love to cook!!

Robin said...

I'll get right on that!