20 March 2006

Crying a river

I know when you are pregnant you get very emotional, moody, fatigued, etc. - all those fun things, but why doesn't anyone ever tell you after having a kid you will become an emotional roller coaster? Am I the only one on this planet that feels after you have a baby, somewhere in your deep inner brain you get a switch that allows you to cry spontaneously? I mean I get so emotional now about the smallest things. It's only gotten worse after having a second baby... (I can't imagine the size river I'd cry if there were three!)

It just seems that I am so emotional over the tiny littlest thoughts/scenarios. Now I'm not talking about the Hallmark aisle or sad movies here. I'm talking, if I see something on TV like a little baby just being born (i.e. A Baby Story) I'm so gone...I just have to change the channel. That goes for Extreme Makeover Home Edition too. Bring on the tissues! Or maybe if Victoria says something or asked me so something that is just so sweet and innocent - I start welling-up! I even well up when I sing certain songs in my head. For example, like on my run listening to "Held" by Natalie Grant. Or, even on Sunday morning at church a certain song will hit me and John looks over to comfort me. Or, times of importance...like just finishing the signing of papers for a new house or seeing a family member after a long time spent apart.

I can't think of all the times I have cried or welled up over small things in the past three years. Maybe it's from having my own children, maybe it's due to my spiritual growth, maybe I cry just because I'm truly happy or maybe because I'm just truly sad...whatever the cause I just want to warn other pregnant women that this could happen to you and be prepared to "cry a river" about what once was the little things in life.

4 comments:

Stacey said...

Wow, sounds like you really take things to heart. I think it's great that you are in touch with your feelings and share them openly!! I wish I could be more like that.

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, totally part of mommy territory! Just wait till your sweeties start writing nice things about you for assignments in school...sobs will ensue. I speak from experience ;) The good news is that both Brian and Ben smile with satisfaction when they have made me cry with a card, gift, etc. Then they know they did really good!

Addie said...

Oh yes! Watching Extreme makeover and the baby shows gets the waterworks here too! The baby thing, I think I just feel the joy all over again. (It's nice, because I don't feel the pain all over again.) I feel that feeling with songs too. It's amazing how much having a child changes you mentally. Hmm. This has me thinking a bit. :-)

And Stacey, some people just aren't criers. I don't think it means that you're not in touch with your feelings at all! You just probably experience them differently. Our pastor's wife is not a crier, but there are situations where she feels like people are expecting her to cry. (in a good way) She gets goose bumps when she feels her emotions. Just thought I'd pass that along.

Stacey said...

Thanks Addie... maybe I'm not a lost soul after all. I used to be way emotional but now I'm just different. I think it's situations in my life that have made me this way. Thanks for the encouragement, it made me feel better!

Sorry to talk to Addie on here Theresa, but I wasn't sure where else to reply to her comment.

Hope you're having lots of fun moving!!