19 August 2007

Tax-Free but not Tear-Free

Reality has officially set in...as early as next week I will be another mama in the neighborhood with "school-aged" children. It became official this weekend while Sissy and I participated in the Texas' tax free Back-to-School shopping weekend extravaganza.

Oh yes folks! We got up early Saturday morning and shopped the same weekend as the rest of the state of Texas in order to save about eight bucks per every $100 we spent. And then you ask, was it worth it? Because really...how many clothes does ONE kindergartner really need?

Y'all it was worth it.

Sissy and I had a great time picking out clothes, trying them one, laughing at the ones that were way too big and too small. Then, we made a pit stop at Starbucks for a quick cup of java and chocolate milk to down our donuts and muffins. We needed a little sugar/caffeine jolt to hit the next few stores. We got all kinds of fun stuff like, skirts, shirts, tights and pretty little lacey socks (you know the kind you need for gym class *smile). But the look on her face was priceless through it all.

And even though it was fun and tax-free, I couldn't help but get a little teary-eyed walking out with a bag of clothes through the parking lot with my firstborns little hand in mine. At that moment it all became a little too real. Now I will be the first to admit that I never thought I would be one of those parents who cry when they drop their child off for the first day of school, but after this weekend...never say never.

Now if I can only make it through Wednesday for the back to school BBQ and Friday for Meet the Teacher Night I should be good to go for Tuesday, right?

4 comments:

Stacey said...

Oh yeah, I made it through meet the teacher but I didn't make it on the first morning. I even took my Mom as back up and we both left crying! It's so hard to leave them there but you gotta do it. I know you'll get through it! Just think of all the fun times you're going to have with Sugar while Sissy's in school.

Email me if you need anything... I'm here for you girl!

Robin said...

I have to take Reia in for her pre kinder eval today. I'm so not ready for this...

Anonymous said...

So how di it all go?


Mike
http://somethingaboutparenting.typepad.com/

Stacey said...

So has she had the first day yet?? I can't wait to hear about it!!