12 August 2007

My new project

After weeks of looking for something of organizational use for my hobby/sewing stuff, I finally completed this little beauty.

This was (I think) a little girls dresser hutch that I bought at a resale shop for $5.99. It was a dingy yellowish and gold piece that I repainted white. Since I didn't have room on my sewing desk to use it as a true hutch I decided to hang it on the wall instead. All I did was install some mounting hardware on the back upper corners. Then to hold my ribbons, I bought four little rod holders (i.e. the kind that hold your closet rods) and drilled them on inside walls on the bottom half of the hutch. Then I found a small wooden curtain rod for $2.99 at the thrift store to use as dowel rods. I just measured the width of the shelf and used a saw to cut two pieces from the same pole. I slid on all my spool of ribbons and wha-la!

The last "thrifty" idea was storing all my new and vintage buttons. I found three clear plastic jars at said store for .50 cents and spray painted the red lids aqua blue. I used my one of my own jars from the pantry and painted that lid pink. Now they match my guest/hobby room and store all my buttons!

1 dresser hutch - $5.99

1 wooden curtain rod - $2.99

1 bunch of plastic roses - $.69

3 plastic jars - $.50

Organization - PRICELESS!

10 comments:

Theresa said...

Can someone tell me WHY my posts always look NORMAL when I preview them and then when they post...they look like THIS???

mamashine said...

That, I don't know. It's not too bad really.

But your project is AWESOME. I'm in awe of 'crafty' people. I would not have been able to come up with that idea. :)

Robin said...

Well, it looks totally fine to me! And the pic with your new do is great. I would ooh and ahh, but since I've seen this little pricesless hutch in person, I'll just say I'm glad we got to see you this weekend....and my kids are STILL asleep.

Addie said...

T, that is AWESOME! You are a creative genius.

I noticed the hair in your pic looked shorter, did you cut it off? Funny, I just did that last week too!

boomama said...

The sight of so many bargains in one centralized location makes me a little giddy, frankly. Absolutely adorable!

Unknown said...

Totally fabulous re-purposing, T-Lo! Though I don't know if it's acceptable to use "just" in the same sentence as "drilled" or "sawed" ;)

Kelley said...

Brilliant! Way to think outside the box, T. Can you come pretend to be me when my MIL visits? She already loves me, but oh, if I could only sew!

Stacey said...

You should have your own show, T! Those are some great ideas... I love it!!

PEZmama said...

How creative. You go girl! And by "go" I mean, "to my house" so that you can do some cute organizing around here for ME!

Jennifer (mom of four) said...

Looks great!! You did a good job!