01 July 2007

Wheels Off

Last evening was one of those nights I have dreamt about growing up. It wasn't about purchasing a dream car or finishing a marathon it was about my first born, my little girl.

She's growing up...

The early evening started out with teaching her to roller skate and having some wonderful mommy daughter time since Sugar was in bed. Then together we decided it was time to take the wheels off. The training wheels that is on her My Little Pony bike.

With just a few cranks of a monkey wrench, I was holding the back of her bike seat as she frantically tried to pedal, balance and look straight. We went up and down the street several times then around the block and down the little alley hill behind our house. It was good times. I continually laughed out loud while bending over trying to hold her 40lb. body and bike up while she screamed and laughed, "Mommy I'm scared!"

It was that moment that I realized I was doing what I dreamt about doing as a parent. Teaching your little one how to ride a bike. Laughing and giggling and watching the amazement on their face when you let go for just a second. It may seem like such a small thing to some but to me, it was an amazing time watching her grow. I know this is only one very small milestone she will reach in her lifetime but being a part of it and watching her was wheels off.

7 comments:

Wendy said...

How exciting!

I just posted about my 4yr. old learning how to ride her bike w/out training wheels too.

Robin said...

A) Weren't we just talking about this?
B) I only dream of Terry teaching the girls to ride bikes and drive cars. I'm afraid Reia and I would KILL each other during the process!
C) Tell Big Tortilla we're so proud!

Unknown said...

Wheels Off - totally needs to be the title for that scrapbook page! Congratulations, those are very sweet moments :)

Stacey said...

That is so exciting! Josh still hasn't learned to ride without the training wheels... He's so nervous about riding :-)

I'm so proud of her! That is such a big thing for a little one to learn!

boomama said...

That is the stuff that mama dreams are made of. No doubt about it. Give that sweet thing a squeeze from me!

ocean mommy said...

HI,

I'm here via BooMama. Love the site! We taught our youngest daughter (we have 2) to ride last summer. This was the first summer that I've been able to ride with them. Well, I try to keep up with them anyway!!! It's such a good memory to have, congratulations.

stephanie

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your post!

I’m actually working on a project with Scholastic – http://www.scholastic.com – to raise awareness Maya & Miguel, a multicultural animated TV series on PBSKids. Here’s a link to the learn more about the show – http://pbskidsgo.org/mayaandmiguel

The reason I’m reaching out is to see if you’d like to receive a free copy of a Maya & Miguel Cinco de Maya DVD. If you’d like to receive the DVD, just email me at mark@boldmouth.com with your address and I’ll have it shipped out to you. If you do choose to get the Maya & Miguel DVD and decide to blog about, please make it clear how you received the DVD. Our goal is to be open and honest with everyone we reach.

All the best,
Mark Steilder