26 July 2008

Hand sculpted dog cake


UPDATE: This is an update to the questions that have popped up in comments. I apologize for the fast and quick post yesterday on the cake but I was literally running out the door.

So here goes...

This was a practice cake because it was the first time I've made homemade fondant icing. It turned out great but I got some great tips from a dear friend (who by the way is way more qualified and gifted than I'll ever be) on how to make the fondant taste a little better.

I got the idea from here but after I watched the video I did not realize the sculptor in the video was a top New York City-chef specializing in custom designed cakes and owner/founder of Confetti Cakes. She is AMAZING!

I watched the video with the girls and after it was done Sissy said, "Mom, I wish you could make me that cake for my birthday?" And I in shock said, "Honey, I'm sure that's a professional." There was a short pause and then she said, "Maybe you can take a cake class!"

ROFL!!!!!! (Rolling On The Floor Laughing)

Of course, I started to think about it and finally curiosity caught the cat and I thought to myself, "maybe I can make a mini one???" So there I was watching the video AGAIN observing every detail...steps, ingredients, tools, technique, etc.

It took 1 1/2 days to make the cake. I baked all the cakes and built the body on Friday afternoon/evening, then made the head the following afternoon. I don't know how many total hours I spent but it actually went quicker than I expected.

I used my homemade fondant icing and hand sculpted all the fur using a kid's Dixie plastic knife. I've got some high quality tools around here. I made two cakes, one 8 inch and one large batter bowl. Although, I ran out of cakes and still needed to make the head so I made a batch of brownies in a small batter bowl. Like I said this was practice. LOL!

So there you have it. The next go round' I'm going to make two batches of fondant with my new recipe (thanks Sweet Diva), modify the color of the dog, add some bling since it is a 'Glamour Dog' party and hopefully make it all using cake. :-)

11 comments:

Robin said...

Now that we've moved away from Richelle, my kids don't get cakes anywhere near that cool. =) It looks great.

Stacey said...

That looks awesome! How did you get it to look like that?

Kelley said...

I saw the you tube video you twittered of someone making this cake. Pretty amazing. Was it as time-consuming as it looked?

Brea said...

Wow, that cake looks awesome! How long did it take to make?

Jada said...

Wow, it's beautiful! Congrats on a successful first try! It looks so real! Amazing really!

Wendy said...

That is great! Wow!

Naturally Caffeinated Family said...

Hey I just found your blog and I have been wanting to try fondant for a while but was very intimidated! Great job! I just made our babyboy's first birthday cake; not fondant but a whole baseball theme, many cakes, many hours, many icing tips...very fun!
www.thefelts.blogspot.com

mandy said...

~here via boomama...

i'm impressed with that cake sculpture! don't know if i'd eat a dog - even if it did taste like cake... but i'm still impressed! :)

Tammy and Parker said...

I had no idea this kind of talent was even possible.

whoa.

Shara said...

That is amazing!! I can't imagine tackling a job like that.

Kids Cakes and Life said...

You did an awesome job! That video is so informative as well!!! I never thought to check You Tube for ideas!!! I want to see a picute of the cake you did for the party!!! I can just picture rhinestones all over the collar!!! So fun!