23 July 2008

i HEART mudrooms

Compared to the other houses I've lived in, this house by far has the biggest laundry room. Now I think that is a bonus...but really how can it be a bonus if it has no storage/cabinets/closets? Because if you've read this blog for any length of time you know that storage and organization are my two BF's. :-)

I've always been a big fan of mudrooms...the type you see in some very large homes. You know the kind where a room/hallway that connects to the garage or laundry room. Since we didn't have a separate room for one in our house, I decided to have one built in my extra large laundry room (off the garage.) Once I got the idea of what I wanted, it didn't take me long to find someone to build a storage unit that had mudroom-like functionality.

I'm so excited to say that it is finally finished and turned out better than I ever expected. Alas, here is our new made-up mudroom...
Now you can't see this very well in the picture but the backing is beadboard. My friend also cut out holes in the backing so I can still use my two electrical outlets. On the bottom bench (where it is stained) they are actually three hinged seats that lift up where the girls can store their shoes. I even had them pick which cubby they wanted so they could put their shoes inside. I still have to purchase three baskets to put up top but I'm truly enjoying it. No more over flowing rack of shoes and over stuffed hooks. :-)

I might even buy some of those rub-on letters and label the cubbies with their initials. I know...too much, right? It was Better Homes & Garden idea not mine!
(I think if you click the pic it might get bigger)

6 comments:

Julie said...

I have storage envy :-) It's beautiful!

Wendy said...

LOVE that!

Brea said...

Love the mudroom -- my parents have a cubbie almost exactly like that, with the beadboard and everything! We didn't have room for one in our house, but I sure wish we did!

Robin said...

It looks so good! Glad it's finally finished.

Kelley said...

I'm so jealous! I truly wish we'd bought a house with a mudroom. Moving from AZ, I just thought it wasn't necessary. Boy, was I wrong!

Stacey said...

Super cute! I love it and can't wait to see a picture with the baskets and stuff hanging up. You'll have to repost when it's all filled with love!