11 June 2007

Watchout Martha

Lately, I've been a bit of a Martha Stewart in action. Now for those of you that have known me for a loooong time probably never thought I would utter those words. As much as I hate to admit it, it's true.

Since moving in the new house I have smothered myself in house projects. I think I've got them going on in almost every room of the house. Hence, the reason the ole' blawg has been neglected. Below are some shots of Martha + Frugalness = Happy Mommy and Daddy. :-)

Here is a sneak peak of my sewing room/guest room. I'm currently making [read attempting] to make my own duvet cover and I made some pillows for the day bed. My choice of colors are aqua blue and chocolate brown. This happens to be one of my favorite rooms in the house and and I even had the painters paint it blue to match! I'll post a final picture when it's all done because it's going to take a while for this novice sewer to complete.

We have big peformers in the house and they will perform on anything with height. Needless to say, they were ruining the last wood step on the stairs and I was certain one of them was going to get hurt on the fireplace hearth...soooo mama made them their own stage. I just used some free wood (thanks previous homeowners) to make the platform and sewed purple sequin curtains with a matching drape on the front of the platform. Lastly, I glued some purple leapard print fabric on top.

This is Sissy performing with my Karoake machine I had from when I was in high school. It plays the radio and tape cassettes but it still works. Smile. (Now I'm showing my age...)

If you haven't noticed by now, I had the painters paint the playroom PURPLE! Oh yes, it is bright purple. Hey, their only kids once right? This is a picture of a ceiling fan that was left behind from the previous home owners (thanks again). It was antique gold and I spray painted it white and painted the fan blades in different colors. I actually searched for one like this on the Internet and couldn't find one so I made one myself and hung it up. *The colors are actually much brighter than what they turned in the picture.

Now this picture is not from my house, but this is a project I worked on as a birthday present for my girlfriends' daughters 4th birthday. She was changing the theme out in her room so I re-made this canopy over the slide on her bunk bed in the new color theme of hot pink, black and zebra print. She loved it!

These are the curtains I made for Sugar's room. You can't really see from the picture but they are light pink silk panels with tiny pink and green embroidered flowers on them.

And last but not least one of my personal favorites is the conversion of the ugly attic door in the playroom. I could not for the life of me think of what to do with this big white door in the middle of wall of the playroom. See, I can't put toys or furniture in front of it because then I wouldn't be able to get in and out of my attic. So a few weeks ago I was flipping through my BHG Organizing catalog and read about this cool product called Chalkboard Paint. That's when I had an AHA moment. I headed to Home Depot and bought myself a can of black chalkboard paint and went to town. Next, to hide the doorknob I wrapped a pink satin bow around the door handle. Then finally I decorated a little cardboard box with zebra fabric to hold the chalk and erasers. Wha-la! The girls absolutely LOVE it.

So if you're wondering what in the heck T-Lo has been up to, there you have it...I've been playing susie homemaker. I think Martha would be proud don't you? :-)

17 comments:

Stacy said...

I love it T-Lo! I was amazed at your house in AZ too! It's obvious that you have a passion and a talent for decorating! Ever think about being a interior decorater later in life? I'd hire ya! Blessings!
Stacy (in AZ)

Wendy said...

Wow, you have been busy. Everything looks great! You did a great job!

boomama said...

Okay - the chalkboard paint on the attic door is BRILLIANT. Everything looks great - and I LOVE those pink silk curtains! Gorgeous!

Robin said...

I love love love the guest room! Can't wait to see it in person.

Theresa said...

Trust me R, I am trying very hard to get it done before you get here! :)

Chris said...

I am in love with the chalkboard paint. I think I would marry it if I weren't already married.

Why do they come up with things like this when all my kids are grown????

sigh.

:0)

Anonymous said...

Wow, T, that's brilliant! Care to advise on my step-daughter's bedroom? LOL

Stacey said...

Oh my goodness, everything looks so good T! I'm so amazed at your creativity! Keep up the good work and keep us posted on what's new :-)

Anonymous said...

You are quite the crafty woman. So creative! I love that chalkboard paint. I'm trying to find a place to use it here. :)

Deidre said...

Wow, this all makes me want to get up and organize and decorate and paint and well....go to bed, actually. It all looks wonderful!

Anonymous said...

I'm so impressed and a wee bit jealous! It's all so beautiful!

(Just stoppin' by via Boomama's blogroll!)

Leigh said...

Yes, you are quite talented! I have lots of ideas, but I need to get someone to actually make everything for me. I am kind of wanna-be crafty. Luckily, my teenaged daughter can make almost anything. Now if I can just convince her to decorate my entire house before she goes to college....

Addie said...

Sweeeeet! The colors in your guest room/sewing room are GORGEOUS!!! It all looks beautiful! Go Martha!

Speaking Thru Me Ministries said...

wonderfully awesome - good job girl - love it. give me some good ideas!!!

Becky said...

I love your projects! This was my first visit. Your blog is SO cute. Love all the colors!

Unknown said...

All the rooms look so good. Great job! Wanna come work on my house now?

Stacey said...

Hey there "Martha" do you have any ideas on making those white burp cloth (diaper) things look better? My Mom and I were thinking maybe some ribbon or material down the sides. We just can't figure it out yet. I was thinking you might have some good tips since you're so creative!!