06 December 2006

Our Jesse Tree

Last night we finally purchased our Jesse Tree to start a new family tradition. I have learned lots about this topic over the past few months here in bloggityville. And I must say it's and excellent idea! I learned first about this tradition from here. Since then, I have been collecting more and more information to create our own.

Like so many of you, this year I am doing the paper ornaments for each Bible story. Plus, Sissy LOVES to color so this is a good time to let her make them. Also, we attached them to colored construction paper like they did here and they look great. (Thanks Ad for the tip!)

Below is a snapshot of our first four ornaments. I do believe next year's ornaments will be a little more creative but this will have to do for now. You can get more information about this idea and see more samples of others here and here.


I'm looking forward to doing more devotionals and watching Sissy learn. Sugar is still a little young to understand but we always show her what we made when she wakes up from nap. :-)

Below is the passage where the idea of the Jesse Tree all began...
1 A shoot will come up from the stump of Jesse;
from his roots a Branch will bear fruit.

2 The Spirit of the LORD will rest on him
the Spirit of wisdom and of understanding,
the Spirit of counsel and of power,
the Spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the LORD -

Isaiah 11:1-2

8 comments:

Barb said...

I wish I'd known about this when my girls were little, T-Lo. When I saw Shannon's recent post, yesterday I think, I was amazed how precious this is so I plan to make sure my girls know about this for their children.

PEZmama said...

Hello my sweet, commenting friend. Thank you for hijacking my blog in your uncool sort of way. It must've taken a long time, but I do thank you. But, that stopping at 35? That's just mean!

Sorry to use your comments when I should be e-mailing. But I had to return the uncoolness in kind, you know.

Nice Jesse tree, by the way. My mom had one when we were growing up, but it was never really something she explained. Just ornaments on the tree. Glad you are getting the real meaning of Christmas across to the kids!

Linda said...

I am reading the devotional for the Jesse Tree as well. It's wonderful.

Ann Voskamp @Holy Experience said...

Thank you for the encouraging Jesse Tree post! We too find this the highlight of our holyday season. To think of His Glorious Coming! Blessed to share the pilgrimage with you!

All is grace,
Ann Voskamp

Addie said...

Very cute! It looks great!!

:D

Cheryl said...

Good idea...haven't heard about this...

Stacey said...

I think this is such a neat idea. I've been looking into it myself. Thanks for the tips!

My Trendy Tykes said...

I am definately going to start this next Christmas! Wish I would have known a little sooner....